Is it ok for sending Cold Emails coming from the Philippines going to the US?

Aug 31 '21 chaz_sipes 1915 clicks ask

Question: Are there any legal liabilities for sending Cold Emails coming from the Philippines going to the US?

I have a client who wants me to set up the server here in the Philippines then send cold emails to email addresses in the US. We are planning to send up to 50K emails in one day (Gradual Increase).

TIA.

5 Replies

It is useless to mass send an email from a server built here unless you are ok to have those emails in the spam folder.

You need reputation for your server and that is the reason why AWS and Sendgrid is popular.

Nope, its not illegal to send emails. Just that, you need to realize that most will be sent to spam.

No, it's not illegal to send cold email to U.S. businesses from the PH but it's not illegal to send from a U.S. server either so not sure why you would need to set up a mail server here. Sendgrid and MailChimp are prime examples of being able to send cold mass mail with servers within the U.S. Heck, you can even send mass mail from Gmail via U.S. based servers by using third party apps like GMass.

I mean why? You can always use email marketing platforms based off servers that the internet doesn’t ban. I mean if you’ll run your mx servers here, I’m assuming you’ll do the manual email marketing?

@SamValti Not really familiar with how it will be done. But we have partnered with an email marketing VA. We're sending marketing emails to real estate sellers and investors and I'm the one doing the templates.