What's your freelancing story?

Feb 19 '20 Pimentel 4538 clicks share

11 years working from home to watch my kids grow. I didn't have a traditional family growing up. My mom and dad both had their own families. Lola's girl ako and I spent my childhood mostly alone. I would sometimes visit my dad, pero my half sisters didn't like me much so those visits were very rare.

So many field days. So many recognition days. I remember my dad went to my 6th grade graduation. Nagbigay lang ng pang lunch namin ni Lola para kumain sa labas. And just like that he was gone again. I don't think he was even there for my valedictorian speech. I don't remember kung umiyak ako pag uwi seeing all my other classmates have their mom and/or dad on the most important day of their elementary school life. I probably did.

I think this is what made me really want to believe that working from home was possible. The thought of not being able to see my kids grow up, to miss their many firsts, was reason enough for me to pursue this career path for as long as I could.

My older girls are 11 and 8. Both have been unschooling for around 4 years. Now with my youngest, we are 3yrs EBF. She is the most clingy of our daughters. She stays up late with me as I work at night. She's the reason I haven't taken up my employer's offer to work in NYC. At least, not yet. Every time I get to hold any of my kids in my arms I keep reminding myself that I would not give this up even if I were offered a higher paying job that would require me to leave them for an extended period of time. Kahit 6 digits pa yan, I will honestly turn it down if it means spending time away from my family.

I have so much respect though for those who do work in the office or even in another country. It's a big sacrifice to spend even the smallest amount of time away from the people you love so you can support them. Kudos to you guys 😊.

What's your freelancing story?

17 Replies

I was so moved by your story.. 💕💕

I grew up not having much, kahit shampoo lang, luxury na para sa amin. so I study hard, I study harder, harder than most kids I know, pinili ko ung 2yrs lang so I could work and earn early. Pero ang hirap pala maghanap ng trabaho, I write well, but my speaking skills is problematic, pag interview, i stutter tlg, kaya nung nauso ang internet, nabuhayan ako ng loob. AND THE REST IS HISTORY. hahahaha

Hope i can get inspiration from you po ♥️

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story with us! 🤩🙌👏💪

I super duper feel you momsh ❤️ the best perks of working from home is to really be with our family lalo na with our kids 😍 the earnings just comes second or third. 👍🏻

Reading the comments here made me realized even more that my decision to quit my job and come home was one of the best things I did for my kids and myself. Though it is a little tight financially compared to when I was an OFW, I have never been this happy. I get a good sleep (no more nightmares), my eating habits has also gotten better and I’m happier.

Stories like this gives me inspiration that’s why i keep on reading.

All your stories are very inspiring. And I agree, it is true that when you did not grow up with parents around, once you become one, you will find that spending most of your time with your children is priceless.

You can always try to go to another country and in the long run you can bring them with you. As for my opinion, it’s mine and my kids fulfilling dreams. They’ll be the happiest.

I think learning to be social is essential and children learn that early in school.

have lots of thoughts and dillemas to wfh but your post made me decide right here to pursue it 🌹 thank u

I'd always choose my kids over high-paying office jobs. 😉

So much love. 😘😘😘 GOD bless you.

Nice one mommy, in the future gusto ko din ng ganto. God bless you and your kids.

What is EBF? What do you use for homeschool curriculum?

Shedding tears. So inspiring. I envy you. Godspeed! ❤❤❤

You are an inspiration. We have the same childhood story but I keep on going to a job that takes me away from my kids. I am taking steps to change this. I missed a lot of their growing up stories.