Speechless when client asks how much do you need to have a comfortable life

Feb 14 '20 Tagle 6031 clicks ask

When your client asks you “How much do you need to have a comfortable life?” I was speechless and don’t know what to answer. Anyway kung kayo magkano ba talaga?

Honestly what I’m earning now is enough naman but I’m still looking for other clients because bukod sa expenses I also want to have savings for my kids and other investments. So hindi ko tuloy alam kung magkano isasagot ko.

He told me to just get back on him tomorrow. Any idea or suggestions?

60 Replies

I think he just asked what's enough for a comfortable life. Di naman luxurious, ideal, dream, o future-secure life. 😛 Also, comfort means different things to different people. I see comfort as being able to spend time with family, having time for myself. Kung puro work nalang at regalo nalang ang nakakarating sa pamilya ko di na ako, parang di na worth sa akin yung ganoong pursuit of money. Kung nasa mahal, sikat, at masarap na restawran kami, pero buong meal e nasa FB o game ako o nagka-client call, di na rin worth it di ba? 😛

Sinabi din toh ng long term client ko. Yung 1 buwan kung sahod dati sa kanya ginawa niyang 1week. Pero di ko parin tinanggap, binigay ko sa asawa ko yung task. 😂 Bigla na kasi siyang nawala dati, tas bumalik madami akong clients, medyo napaisip pero dun ako sa marami para may assurance parin na tuloy ang buhay bilang freelancer. 😊

When my Aussie client asked me "what hourly rate will make you happier?" Napasagot ako ng "double my existing rate?" Ayun, binago agad ang rate ko. Hehe. Double talaga. :)

If I would be asked the same, siguro I’ll give a figure based on my work and what I did or what I am contributing to his business vs how much of a success the business is. I can’t and don’t want to ask too much.

After achieving your "Comfortable life" goal, you'll ask for more. Pero okay ang 100k - 200k a month in exchange for your loyalty to your client alone. So walang ibang client ka na iseserve sabihin mo. Then set aside for Emergency Fund, Investments (Stocks, UITF, MF), Life Insurance (Term, not VUL), start a business at home. Then spend from the money you had earned from investing and your business.

Everyone has a different amount of comfortable living. Try to write down ur goals. What do u wanna have in the next ten years. A nice house? Ur kids education, ur retirement plan, business, put amount of each. Then sum the total amount, divide to 10yrs, then divide to 12 months. You'll get ur ideal monthly income. To have the comfortable life in the next 10yrs

Hi it's a trap question. Instead ask your client what is his target income goal that you will help him achieve. Always know your worth thru competitive pricing analysis

If this is a new/prospect client - medyo hindi ako convinced na offer sya. More like curious siguro kung ano pa ba ang kailangan at kulang mo o hinahanap mo?

Comfortable life yung di ka magiisip na ng extra client siguro para makapagFocus ka sa kanya. Yung may labis ka sa bills mo Yung may panggala ka na at savings din

Para sa akin, iba yung luxurious. Magkakaproblema din kung magiiba ka ng lifestyle kasi nga comfortable ka na. 🤷‍♀️

Let me share sample computation.

Comfortable Life for me:

Monthly Spend: ₱40,000.00 Including pets, grocery and utility bills maybe kids (oncr I have one)

Savings: atleast 30% ng kinikita ko which is ₱120K/month. Sabi nga dapat mas malaki savings kesa sa ginagastos mo. But wait it's because I want to pay for insurance for myself and my family.

Life Insurance: Depende sa worth mo, kasi may choices na pag ba iniwan mo ang family mo gaano kalaking halaga ang pwede nila makuha? For me is ₱50K enough na siguro. Some premiums you need to pay ₱5-10K/month, good investment ito para sa mga family with cancer history at sa lahat nadin.

Car: ₱10-20K/month House: ₱10-20K/month HMO: Kung provided ni client mas okay, but if not I'm sure meron mga plans for family, say for example for a family of 4 mga ₱10K/month.

Lastly death insurance: ₱12K annual.

Total of ₱123K versus my income. Sample lang po. 😁

Kung ako yan ay hindi ko ibabased sa monthly expenses + savings ko. Kasi kung yon ang basis ng monthly income ko ay baka nasa lowest bracket ako haha. Personally ayoko ng full time client kasi back to zero kapag nawala. Pero kung sakali man na iaccept mo ay i-monetize mo yung risk of losing all income anytime and opportunity lost kung ginawa mo sanang business ang remote job (freelancing, outsourcing) pero you decided to be an employee.

Ask for what you really want. But be ready for ceiling and floor rates. Para your expectations will still be met.

Depends on how much you really need and what you want, and what your goals are. Then compute it: Salary - (personal, family, emergency and travel savings + expenses + insurance)

Each individual has their own level of comfort and has different ways of spending kaya you have to determine yours.

$15 per hour para you don't have to find another client and more time to your family. I think your client is asking for a figure.

I was asked the same question by two clients last month during the interview (January). I told them with full honesty and what I was planning ahead for 2020... and now the rate is more than I could ever ask for. Hit the sweet spot lang. 🙏

Maybe 100k a month and a simple living will make you comfortable already 😅

This is a test. Clients asks this to measure your motivation to work with him/her. Many ways to answer this question. My suggestion is, focus your answer to anything that will keep your client engaged long term and a win-win for both of you.

100k to save and to be secured.

What is the highest competitive pay for your work? Comfortable life for me means you are able to pay for:

• all your bills
  • apply for a mortgage/ pay for your mortgage
  • insurance policies and retirement
  • or contribute to passive investments
  • for leisure and periodic holidays

And after all of that still have money to save for: Emergencies and future investments.

Where is your client located? What state? If your client is located in California, Hawaii or a state that has high cost of living, they don’t mind paying you at least half of the average wage. Also, consider the type of work you do and your minimum wage requirement.