How to cope with social isolation as a work-at-home freelancer?

Jan 22 '20 Pantz 5454 clicks ask

Hi guys! How do you cope with social isolation as a work-at-home freelancer? It's fun and relaxing to stay at home and have full control over your schedule but then the loneliness hits you after a few months. Living alone, I've noticed I can spend days not talking to anyone and it can get pretty depressing. Pets help even though they're usually one-sided conversations. Friends live far and have different schedules (graveyard shifts) so it's hard to catch up with them. Life has literally become a routine of eat, work and sleep.

It's a pretty hard slump to overcome once you get used to doing everything at home. Even basic tasks that require you to go outside already seem so exhausting. Thinking of finding a new hobby or enrolling in a class to stimulate and force myself out of the house.

I also thought about finding a co-working space (Congressional/Trinoma QC area) to work and connect with new people, even though that kinda negates my reason of working at home (avoiding the hassle of bustling through Manila traffic).

Do you guys have regular meetups here?

46 Replies

I have friends online and have a group where I regularly talk to them. 😊

I never feel alone when Im at home. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It's because my room is my nature😂 habitat kumbaga. Hahaha

this is very true, I'm glad to have madaldal colleagues pero iba parin pag personal tayo nakisocialize.

go to the gym, play basketball or any games every RD, there are a lot of things that can make urself busy👌

I find ways to work in cafés and have a mobile unit for lighter assignments. it's important to have a bit of movement or else quality of work suffers.

Occasionally work from cafes even if you don't talk to anyone, join a non profit group, and go to the gym.

I train jiu-jitsu 2-3x a week. An active lifestyle and social time in one

Sabi nga nila working from home makes you flexible and gives you more time. Engage in extra-curricular activities like sports or socio-civic groups. If nagcchurch ka, join church groups. Or enroll ka sa free tesda courses (baking, cooking, welding) to gain more skills. .

Watching my online shows keeps me pre-occupied (japanese anime mostly) when im not working, lols. im a hermit by nature and a freelancer by trade!! Hahahah..my bi-weekly visits to the salon satiates my need to be around other ppl..lols...im currently busy rewatching all 3 seasons ok haikyuu..lols

Spacol, you get a massage and someone to talk to and probably more. 😂🤣

netflix and hanap ka pa din activities mo afterwork :)

If you have other friends who also work from home, work in each other's home once a week with inuman sesh pero mild lang lol. If wala, invite your friends to your home and inuman sesh or kwentuhan lang while working ka. Pede rin out of town, meet new people while you work. Hehe

Cycling. Eto from my own experience. At first, maeenjoy mo pa ung ikaw lang mag isa . Then you'll be able to go to places na hindi accessible ng motor o sasakyan. Tapos, may makikita kang ibang siklista. So maeengganyo ka nang mag join sa mga cyclist group(eto ung hindi ko pa magawa kasi nahihiya pa ako haha.)

Alam mo, dati hassle for me mamalengke hahaha. Pero dahil sa cycling, halos 3 times a week n ako mamalengke.

punta sa barber shop para pa shave or gupit, for sure madaming joke at kwento sila manong.

Do not make freelancing your life. You can always go out at your own pace and not be mindful of anyone or anybody.

I got busy joining open shoots and checking out public events. The element of meeting someone or experiencing something new helped lessen the feeling of isolation.

I always choose a work where i can really have time to meet my friends and family, I avoid sleepless nights as much as possible and only work on day time.. even though the pay is not much, but i think it's better.

Sa bahay ka lang naman nagtatrabaho. everything else is the same. Try going out when you can, buy a motorcycle, a car or a boat. Working from doesn't stop you for enjoying your life outside your house. I have been living solo in a house for 8 years and no problems.

I chat with my friends a lot. We make chismis too so my social life is very ok albeit virtual. Hehe