How to cope with social isolation as a work-at-home freelancer?

Jan 22 '20 Pantz 5532 clicks ask

Hi guys! How do you cope with social isolation as a work-at-home freelancer? It's fun and relaxing to stay at home and have full control over your schedule but then the loneliness hits you after a few months. Living alone, I've noticed I can spend days not talking to anyone and it can get pretty depressing. Pets help even though they're usually one-sided conversations. Friends live far and have different schedules (graveyard shifts) so it's hard to catch up with them. Life has literally become a routine of eat, work and sleep.

It's a pretty hard slump to overcome once you get used to doing everything at home. Even basic tasks that require you to go outside already seem so exhausting. Thinking of finding a new hobby or enrolling in a class to stimulate and force myself out of the house.

I also thought about finding a co-working space (Congressional/Trinoma QC area) to work and connect with new people, even though that kinda negates my reason of working at home (avoiding the hassle of bustling through Manila traffic).

Do you guys have regular meetups here?

46 Replies

Why not be active on your church community? Or get involved with the people you know with the same hobby like mountain climbing, motorcycle riders etc., or maybe you can go bar hopping lol.

There are some way for you to have that social life aside from having an office job saka kung minsan ang toxic din ng environment sa office... Swertehan lang kung makatagpo ka ng maayos ang culture... If you know the story of "TL Jeff" sa isang call center company? Lol

None of these will work because this is an inner struggle. Solution must not come from the outside. Search for "Inner Engineering" and start from there.

I’ve been through this on and off. Though we go out once a week with my family and dine out while doing shop ang grocery. I also go outside the house everyday for a few mins kc walking distance lng mini stop and alphamart nakaka umay na rin. Sometimes uma attend din ako ng mga training at seminar to stimulate my senses. Don’t know pero cguro variety of those will help but it will only be temporary and quick fix solution.

I've been there too. If your still single find your partner, be in love and have family. Your life would be a lot more colorful 😊😊😊

Travel. Work remotely outside ur home. May it be local, within PH or somewhere nearby. Make sure u go outside at least 2x a week. (I've been wfh more than 6 years) or I go out on a date with myself once a week doing something I love.

Been in that situation. I got depressed. My husband kase is also working farr from us.. Luckily may mga anak akong makukulit at I found freediving. Nagaka friends din tuloy outside work.. And kahit every weekend dive lng.. Atleast I have my outlet outside. I also travel..