How do you engage beginner adults in a role play dialogue for teaching?

Aug 14 '19 JessicaCombis 2508 clicks ask

Hello,

How do you engage beginner adults in a role play dialogue? Any tips? Gosh it's so different from teaching kids. 😅

6 Replies

I do pretend telephone calls. It is also useful for question construction. Let them choose the situation to role out.

You can start with a simple script written together then read aloud with the proper intonation plus the emotion of course.

Some of the scenes my students love include 911 emergency calls, invitation to a party, calling to complain about a product. Keep a jar with topics written on paper too then just pick one during the class. Good luck! :)

Hi @Tom, thanks for answering. That 911 call dialogue seems interesting. I'll try it out.

One significant thing about teaching adult learners is that they carry a lot of experience with them. Use that experience to make relevant scenarios for role plays.

Well, I highly recommend you can help them learn new phrases first before doing the role play (it helps them engage simple conversations)

ISL collectives are God-sent materials which help me a lot with adult zero-beginners.

Try to register their website: ISL COLLECTIVES. :)

http://iteslj.org/questions/

This site is full of questions and topics you can use. Great for adults. Choose the topics that target "getting to know you" eg. Habits, culture, country. ^^

@Susan I used that site too, sometimes I let the student choose the topic. I find it easier to teach adults though ...