Client asks me to be on standby between 9am-5pm EST

Aug 15 '20 alverta_mcglynn 3989 clicks ask

Question: For hourly rate, Client asked me to be on stand-by between 9am-5pm EST and will just send me tasks to work on, if there's any.

I'm a VA, and according to him I will only get paid for tasks that I will do. My concern is, I will be on stand by for whole 8 hours, and yet no guarantee that they will give me a task to work on.

Is that acceptable? Is this really how it works with hourly pay?

Hopefully you can enlighten me. Thank you.

32 Replies

Reject the client... abusive ang ganyang klaseng client.. not worth of your time..

No. Somebody posted a similar problem a few months ago. 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week online on standby graveyard shift pero she only wasble to charge less than 5 hrs a week. Luging lugi ka

Ang disadvantage pag kukunin niya at hanap ulit ng ibang client, paano pag bigla siyang may task at oras niya pa sa isang client? di naman pwedi 2 clients sabay sa time tracker 😂

Big No. Tapos abuso yan. Tapos pag biglang wala ka sila pa galit pero ok lang na naka abang ka for 8 hours. Ok lang yan if may iba ka pang online work. Pero exclusively working or naka-abang. Lugi ka pa sa babayad sa internet mo.

kunin mo tapos hanap ka ibang work gawin mo syang side line

No. If i would be on standby, i expect to be paid for the time I am on standby. Otherwise, dapat flexi time na lang.

Big no unless naka on ang time tracker for that 8 hrs at paid dapat.

If they ask you to be on stand by for 8 hours, paid dapat yung 8 hours na un.

Classic example of abuse. Ask for a weekly fixed rate. Not acceptable that youll only be paid for tasks that you are going to do especially if they ask you to wait.

And there should be no exclusivity for cases like this. You should be allowed to cater other clients kapag ganyan ang arrangement.

Project base.