Useful tips for crafting your cover letter on Upwork

Nov 21 '19 Glenn 2091 clicks share

For those who are asking how you should craft your Cover Letter on UpWork, there are some tips for your reference:

1. You should sound confident and authoritative;

2. Always follow AIDA principle (Attention; Interest; Desire; and Action) [Google it for more information];

3. If you're new and don't have experience, just make sure it is written to invite the prospect to hop on a call with you [or a chat]. You will notice that I have skipped that part when I normally say "Are you available for a quick call?". The reason for this is because I have offered a 'free, no obligation audit' and when you have something like this, it is reason enough to make him take action because anyway, there's no risk [or at least minimized the risk] on his part;

4. Note how I said that I can only help him if the website is on WordPress. This is niching down and the fact is, one of his previous projects was web design for a WordPress website and so I am sure that while this project is silent as to the used platform, I can smell really that their website is on WordPress. This was written to get him to consider me as an authority in the niche.

5. Copy what he's written on his job post and have it reiterated on the first sentence of your Cover Letter. He said "I have a client looking for an expert SEO candidate that understands the PERSONAL INJURY LAW industry." To grab his attention, make sure to inject in his mind that he has a need and that the reason why you're writing this Cover Letter is because you saw that he needs help. This is a psychological device that you can use in your favor.

I hope you get something from this. 💞

1 Replies