The Filipino ESL teachers are suffering underpaid situation

Dec 14 '19 Lenz 2962 clicks ask

I am broken-hearted. How many posers do we need to get to the real deal? The Filipino ESl teachers are suffering because of those who think they can teach English but are far from being able to. If you accept slave pay, you are not an ESL teacher. You are a wannabe who knows you are not worth the pay of the real ESL teacher.

There is no defending companies who short-change you. No justification can change the fact that you are killing not only yourself but every one of us. There are no perfect companies but at the very least companies need to try to be human and humane to their workers.

If you justify your below-minimum pay, you are part of the problem.

2 Replies

Point here is- a lot of these 'posers' just want to make a quick buck, thus- hurting the industry.. Dignity-that's what's lacking amongst them.

Good point! If I didn't invest in improving my skills such as getting TESOL and IELTS certificates ( I took IELTS), I wouldn't be working in a great company right now. Currently I'm teaching Business and I couldn't be any prouder of myself since I'm the only Filipino teacher who is working in that company. My colleagues are Americans and Europeans. Imagine, I'm not a native English speaker, and that company didn't care about my nationality but they give importance to my qualifications. My point here is, invest in education, know your worth, and aim for something big.