Does part-time teachers can only teach in one school?

Aug 08 '19 Ettesor 2394 clicks ask

Question: Does a language school (whether online and/or man-to-man) has the right to tell a part-time/contractual/per project based teacher not to work in other language schools since it is their direct competitor?

I know of a progressive language school (pay per hour is very competitive & above P200/hr) who are doing this to all their part-time teachers wherein they cannot teach in their direct competitors which is in other language schools to avoid stealing of ideas and even students.

If teachers were found to be working in other language centers, they won't be called up anymore or rehired for teaching.

I want to hear your thoughts/insights here. Thank you.

3 Replies

Ethically speaking I think I agree with their policy. In any kind of business there exists an unwritten rule about loyalty.

And besides that, as you mentioned, they want to avoid stealing of ideas and students, is something that can and may happen if they allow tutors/teachers to work in other language schools.

Let's put it this way, would you want your significant other(husband,boyfriend) to continue dating other women when they already have a relationship with you?

It's called non-compete clause. It's in the contract if you signed or agreed to such. But for us, our clients are Chinese so we cannot work in any ESL companies catering to Chinese students but we can if clients are Japanese, Koreans, etc. Depends on the terms.

This language school allowed me to work in regular schools that has either DepEd or CHED permit or in voc-tech TESDA schools because the nature of their services would be way different from theirs.

Let us take these positively and learn from each other, especially for school administrators.

I thank and appreciate to those who replied here.